Disney Travel: Save Sanity-and also Money with Pixie Vacations!
by Mommy MD Guides blogger Jennifer Bright Reich
Here at the Mommy MD Guides, our mission is to help moms raise healthier, happier families. We talk a whole lot about the “healthier” part. I’m really excited today to talk about the “happier.”
What makes you happy is as individual as, well as you! But I think most people would agree that taking a family vacation is at least close to the list. And what vacation destination could boost happiness more than the one of the “happiest places on earth”–Walt Disney World.
I’ve traveled to Disney World 10 times, and the past three have been with my kids. Sure, we had some stressful moments, even some Mommy Meltdowns, but I made it home with my sanity intact. You can too! And below you’ll find some great specials from my friends at Pixie Vacations!
- Work with your family’s schedule. I’ve read dozens of times about families that go back to their hotels in the middle of the day for naps. I’m sure that works well, for some. But I knew from other trips and day trips that my kids did better with a concentrated block of time out and about, naps in their stroller when they were younger, and an earlier return to the hotel to relax, swim, and sleep. Also, we try to keep our mealtimes as close to what we do at home as possible, eating around 7 am, 11 am, and 4 pm. Eating early like this also helps us avoid the nutty meal-time crowds!
- Don’t pressure kids to ride. On our first trip with my kids, who were 4 and 2 years old at the time, I encouraged them to go on “It’s Tough to Be a Bug.” It’s a show in the dark, about bugs. Didn’t scare me a bit, but my younger son was terrified, and he was reluctant to go one anything else indoors for the rest of the trip. After that, before getting into a line, we told him as much as we could about a ride, and if he didn’t want to try a ride, we skipped it. Now before trips I show my kids (prescreened!) youtube videos of rides that they might want to go on.
- Plan ahead. Disney is the master at crowd pleasing, and crowd control. Their FastPass system and the new FastPass+ allow you to cut your time standing in line. Yet, sadly not all park guests know about them. Don’t be one of them! They are FREE and easy to use! Basically, with a FastPass, you get a “ticket” that gives you a window of time when you can return and bypass the regular line for a much shorter FastPass return line. My strategy is to get a FastPass for one of the popular rides, such as Space Mountain, then check out nearby, less popular rides such as the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, until our FastPass window opens. Then we ride the popular ride, go get another FastPass, and repeat the process.
- Hydrate often–with free water! Just walk up to any counter service or snack station that serves soda and ask for a cup of ice water. I bring along packets of drink mix and iced tea mix to flavor the water because the water at Disney World often has a bad taste.
- Share meals and snacks. This might sound like a no-brainer, but it took me a few meals with kids to realize that the portions at Disney World are generally huge. And who wants to carry a doggie bag around the park–and risk food poisoning by eating it later? We often split snacks and meals to save money, and waste.
- Combat motion sickness! Try Queasy Kid Pops or Sea-Bands. I’m not admitting that I’m old, but rides that never used to bother me make me downright queasy now. I have great success with two Mommy MD Guides-Recommended Products: Sea-Band acupressure wrist bands and Queasy Kid Pops. I put on my wristbands before going on spinning rides like the Mad Tea Party. My older son also has a pair he wears on long car trips. Those Queasy Kids Pops saved our Magic Kingdom day on my kids’ first trip. My younger son had a very upset stomach, and I gave him a pop. He felt better right away! I always keep some of them in my purse.
Now that you know my secrets to traveling to Walt Disney World with kids, I want to share three terrific offers!
Play, Stay & Dine at Disney World & Save Up To $600
October 8 – December 31, 2013
For Stays most nights January 5 – March 5, 2014
Walt Disney World vacation packages are here for 2014 travel. You can save $600* on your family vacation by booking this offer. Here are the details:
Purchase this Walt Disney World Vacation now through Dec. 31, 2013 for stays most nights Jan. 5 – March 5, 2014 at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels. Save $600* (based on a family of four) on a 5-night, 6-day Plus Dining Disney Vacation Package at select Disney Moderate, Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts. Or, save $400* (based on a family of four) on a 5-night, 6-day Disney World Vacation Package Plus Quick Service Dining at select Disney Value Resorts.
Oct. 8 – Dec. 31, 2013
For stays most nights Jan. 5 – March 5, 2014
Don’t delay! With savings this huge, rooms will fill up fast! If you are interested in this offer contact Pixie Vacations today.
Save Up To 35% – Select Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
You can save up to 35%* at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels with this offer.
Book Oct. 8 – Dec. 31, 2013
For stays most nights Jan. 5 – March 5, 2014 and March 14 – April, 12, 2014:
Save up to 35% at
Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts,
Disney’s Beach Club Resort Villas,
Disney’s BoardWalk Inn & Villas,
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard/pool view rooms),
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa,
Disney’s Polynesian Resort,
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa,
Disney’s Old Key West Resort,
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge (standard/woods view)
Save up to 25% at
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort,
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort,
Disney’s Port Orleans – Riverside
Disney’s Fort Wilderness Cabins
Save up to 20% at
Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort,
Disney’s All-Star Music
Disney’s Pop Century Resort
How to Book:
Disney World Christmas 2013 vacation packages from $118 per person
Spend the Holidays at Walt Disney World with this special vacation package offer from our friends at Pixie Vacations.
Booking Window: 10/10 – 11/18/2013
Travel Window: 12/18 – 12/25/2013
You must stay the night of the 18th, you can extend past the 25th based on availability.
Package for 5 nights / 6 days at select Disney Value, Moderate, or Deluxe Resorts
and get a FREE Disney Water Park or DisneyQuest Ticket for each person in your party.
This Exclusive Holiday Season Disney World Vacation Package Includes:
- Magic Your Way Base Ticket
- Disney’s Plus Dining**
- A Free DisneyQuest or Disney Water Park Ticket
Spend Christmas at Walt Disney World.
Available Disney Resorts for this Disney Holiday Special Vacation Package are:
DISNEY’S ALL STAR MOVIES RESORT (Value Resort)
DISNEY’S PORT ORLEANS RESORT – RIVERSIDE (Moderate Resort)
DISNEY”S POLYNESIAN RESORT (Deluxe Resort)
DISNEY’S YACHT CLUB RESORT (Deluxe Resort)
Click this link to get an online quote: Christmas at Disney World Vacation Quote
Ask about packages available in other resort categories and for other lengths of stay.
Get a Disney Vacation Quote Now For Your Travel Dates.
This Exclusive offer is ONLY available to guests that book with Pixie Vacations.
Note: I was compensated by Pixie Vacations with a Mickey Mouse Santa Hat and Minnie Holiday headband. However, I love talking about and planning Disney World vacations and feel passionate about helping families make magical memories and I would gladly have written it anyway!
Bio: Jennifer Bright Reich is a mom of two sons and coauthor of The Mommy MD Guide to Losing Weight and Feeling Great. Next to her home in Allentown, PA, Walt Disney World is her favorite place on earth!