Kerri Daniels, MD
Dr. Daniels is a mom of one toddler daughter and an instructor in the department of pediatrics at the University of Arkansas for Medical Science in Little Rock.
How many children do you have? I have one daughter, and she will be two next month.
What’s your specialty? I’m a pediatrician. I work around 80 percent of the time in the emergency room at Arkansas Children’s Hospital and the other 20 percent of the time at the clinic for childhood obesity.
What’s your favorite parenting tip? Enjoy every moment because kids grow up so fast.
What has surprised you most about parenting? How flexible I could be. I’m a planner. I’ll ask you today what you’re going to have for dinner tomorrow. But having a baby has helped me lighten up a lot.
How do you get your kids to eat healthy food? When our daughter was first eating solid food, she’d eat anything. But now that she’s almost two, she’s more picky. She likes fruit, so I keep a lot of fruit on hand. I used to sneak peas into her potatoes, but she caught on so I have to be more subtle now. I also try to keep the veggies that she does like on hand so that she can have a more balanced diet.
How do you work exercise into your family’s life? My daughter is very active. She likes being chased all over the house. We also go for walks around the neighborhood and go to the park as weather permits.
How do you recharge your batteries? The most relaxing thing for me is to go and get a massage and then eat something totally bad for me. Pizza, southwest egg rolls, and Mexican cheese dip are my particular favorites.